The Church of the Holy Shitters believes that Climate Change is real. The argument about whether man-made climate change exists is over. It does. End of argument.
It is now time to move on to what can and should be done about it. On this page I want to break things down as simply as possible because in actuality the steps that need to be taken are very simple if we have the will.
1. We can reduce our population.
2. We can reduce our consumption.
3. We can use cleaner sources of energy.
4. We can recapture (known as sequestration) CO2 emissions and bury them.
5. We can use the energy we have more efficiently so we use less resulting in a decrease in CO2.
6. We can reduce the pollution of the energy we are now using through better technology to lesson the CO2 emissions.
7. We can perform offset actions (like planting trees and growing algae in the oceans) to capture/recycle more CO2.
That is about it. Simple right. As in most things the devil is in the details. I said IF we have the will. Oh, but this is really the most important step of all. That is the crux of the matter. When looked at closely each of us really doesn’t have the will to personally change the way we do things or the will to demand of our leadership the things necessary to make the larger changes in the way man interrelates with this planet.
This lack of will stems from our perception of ourselves and how we see ourselves fitting into the world at large. It is rooted in our ego. It can best be summed up by the phrase commonly circulated in the environmental community. I’m sure you’ve heard it. It says we can “Save the Planet”. Sometimes the phrase is stated slightly differently with this variation – “Save the Earth”. It points to an egotistical perception of our inflated importance in the grand scheme of things and allows us to trick ourselves into thinking we are in control.
The Church of the Holy Shitters prefers to state things a little more bluntly. We say the problelm stems from each of us believing that “Our shit doesn’t stink”.
If we can ever truly get our minds around the fact that our shit actually does stink then we will have taken the most important step in confronting and ultimately solving the climate change problem we currently have facing us.